Roswell Park Hospital was founded in 1898 through the efforts of surgeon Roswell Park, MD, and Buffalo Evening News owner and publisher Edward H. Butler, Sr. The Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center was the first institution in the world to focus exclusively on cancer research. Dr. Roswell Park believed that cancer could be eradicated only through well-organized scientific research. He was also a firm believer in the coordination of investigations from the laboratory and clinic which he believed would accelerate the recovery and speed of the delivery of new promising treatments.
Dr. Roswell’s vision made it possible for numerous medical discoveries and breakthroughs to be used to-date. Through this solid foundation, cancer care has been transformed and expanded in ways that were unimaginable even to him. From diagnosis through survivorship, Roswell Park Hospital patients are surrounded by a multidisciplinary team of experts — doctors and nurses, physical therapists, nutritionists, psychologists and social workers — who work together to help them live long, healthy and happy lives.
Roswell Park has experts who use only the best treatments. Since 1898, the hospital has been hitting medical milestones in cancer care and treatment. It is the only upstate New York facility to hold the National Cancer Institute designation of “Comprehensive Cancer Center” and one of 49 such centers in the United States. Since 1974 Roswell Park has been recognized by the NCI as a Comprehensive Cancer Center. It was the nation’s first, has served as a national model and is the only one in Upstate New York.
In 2018, Rosewell Park Hospital marked their 120th year as one of the best Cancer Centers in the world. It is currently 2018–19 Best Hospital for cancer named by U.S. News & World Report and recognized as high-performing for colon and lung cancer surgery.
Accreditations, Certifications & Membership
Roswell Park holds accreditations or certifications from many organizations, including:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education – for Medical and Surgical Oncology Training Programs
- American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
- American Dental Association – Dentistry and Maxillofacial Prosthetics
- Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC International)
- American Association of Blood Banks (AABB)
- Blue Distinction Center for Cancer Care
- Blue Distinction Center for Transplants
- Cancer Immunotherapy Trials Network Member (CITN)
- Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- Forbes Best Employers for Diversity
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- Lung Cancer Alliance Screening Center of Excellence
- National Accreditation Program for Breast Cancers (NAPBC)
- National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- National Marrow Donor Program
- New York State Department of Health
- Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) Certification from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- The Joint Commission
- The Joint Commission Certification for Palliative Care
- The Joint Commission Laboratory Accreditation